Monday, June 6, 2016

My Testimony on being saved 33 years


My testimony is simple and there is not much of a big story on how I got saved. I remember growing up with my older brother (my mom's 6th son) and me (my mom's 7th son). My mom took all of us to church and my older brother and I were in church since we were 2 months old with our mom being right there in church with us. I remember growing up along with my older brother in a single parent home (with my mom raising us mainly by herself) and it was challenging with us not having our father in our lives but our praying mom always trusted in the Lord and had such a strong faith in God. The church I attended was The Full Gospel Interdenominational Church in Downtown Manchester in Manchester, CT. I grew up around diversity and was embraced by so many people in church and a lot of hands picked me up and held me when I was a baby. I can remember as a little boy how so many people were prophesying so many encouraging words to me. I had my moments when I tried to act like a knucklehead. My mom disciplined me with the belt when she had to (my mom always told me that I never caused her trouble).  Proverbs 13:24 King James Version (KJV) "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+13%3A24&version=KJV


I think what really made me be a good boy was when I went to church and decided to give my life to Jesus Christ. I was only 5 years old at the time and there are all kinds of influences that can cause a child that young to get into trouble. I will never forget what changed my life when the late Reverend Phillip Saunders did an altar call one night on June 5, 1983. We had just got done with church service and I remember Rev. Phillip Saunders asking the congregation "How many would like to be baptized, saved, and filled with the Holy Ghost?" Most of the people who raised their hands that I could remember were in their 20's, 30's, and 40's. You have to understand that no one under 20 years of age raised their hand at that time let alone teenagers or children. But here is this bold 5 year old child in me raising my hand. I will never forget that experience. My mom was asking me, "Paul are you sure you want to do this?" I responded by saying, "Yes ma I'm ready to give my life to Jesus Christ!" My mom again wanted to double check to make sure I was ready and asked, "Paul are you really sure you want to be baptized because you will be all wet when you go in that water?" Not wavering and standing by what I said I replied, "Yes ma I'm ready!" My mom didn't have to ask me a third time if I was ready because she knew how serious I was about being saved & making Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. I'm reminded of what Matthew 19:14 which simply says, "But Jesus said, suffer little children, and forbid not, to come unto me: for of such is the Kingdom of heaven."  I remember being the only child giving my life to Jesus that night. I will never forget the very first Christian program that I watched on TV that being Shepherd's Chapel. I'm thankful for the people that the Lord have used to be in my life and who were such a blessing to me. Everyday I'm thankful to the Lord for saving me when he did and it's a constant reminder of how good God has been to me!

 A photo of me and my Baptismal Certificate I didn't get this certificate until 2 years after I got saved (in 1985 until the church started recording baptisms).

















The Full Gospel Interdenominational (Downtown Manchester) in Manchester, CT. This is the church where I got saved at in 1983, the pastor at the time was the late Reverend Phillip Saunders.


Shepherd's Chapel was one of the very first Christian Programs that I watched after I got saved 33 years ago (RIP Pastor Arnold Murray).


No comments:

Post a Comment